Home Buyers Drain Surveys
Why would I want a Home Buyers Drainage Survey?
When a client buying a new commercial or domestic property talks to their building surveyor, they are often advised value of drain surveys carried out by certified drainage surveyors. This ensures that the drains of the new property are in working order.
Certified Drainage Surveyor Reports have the following benefits:
- Structural condition reporting and analysis
- Identification and reporting of mis-connections
- Information about the drainage system ownership - whether it is water company owned or private ownership
- Mapping of the drainage system, showing locations and components as a drawing
- Many mortgage lenders and insurance companies request drain surveys
- Solicitors may request a drain survey for a Water Search - these surveys satisfy the CON29DW
- As most RICS building surveyors lack the equipment to survey the drainage system in depth, this enables a proper inspection of the property.
- Ensures that drains that are in poor condition are identified prior to purchase.
- Detects any vermin in the drainage system.
Who can benefit from a drainage survey?
Property buyers and owners, mortgage lenders, insurance companies - everyone concerned with the purchase of a property.
When should the survey take place?
We recommend that a home buyer's drain survey is completed before the exchange of contracts - though earlier is better, in case defects in the drainage system are found.
How do I find and verify a certified surveyor?
We are NADC certified drainage surveyors. We can show our certification certificate and ID card issued by the
A drainage survey will be valid for 5 years, and can be used as part of a seller's pack on property sales. As defective drainage systems can be responsible for major structural defects in buildings, a drain survey should not be considered an optional expense. As a valuable part of the surveying process, this can ensure that problems like subsidence can be avoided if they're identified and corrected in time.
How long do drain surveys take?
For a standard 3-bedroom property, a drain survey would normally be expected to take two to three hours, including high-pressure water jetting to clean the drains prior to the survey. As a rule of thumb, for each extra bedroom, it can add another hour to the time for cleaning and surveying. Commercial and industrial buildings would take longer to clean and survey; this is reflected in the cost.